To prepare for your oath and certification and submit your request, do the following:
1. Go to this Canvas course and click the gold button to request enrollment (which is instant): https://emory.instructure.com/enroll/XYCYPP
Once enrolled, complete the module. You must achieve at least 85% on each of the three sub-quizzes.
For students currently enrolled in externships, this is a requirement for your externship as well. You don't need to complete it twice in the same semester. Completion information will be kept on file from August 2016 forward so that students need only complete the module once while at Emory.
2. Review the Bar Rules
to ensure you are aware of the rules beyond the ones highlighted in the module.
3. Read the student practice rule
carefully. In particular, note the following:
: Applies only to work on behalf of (1) any state, local or other government agency, (2) any person who is unable financial to pay for legal services of an attorney (which may include clients of private firms), or (3) a nonprofit organization the purpose of which is to serve persons of low or moderate income.
Permits registered students to advise clients, represent them in court, and otherwise act as if admitted to practice in Georgia. (Thus it is broader than an authorization to appear in court, and is advisable anytime a student will be advising clients.)
: Attorneys supervising registered students must
(1) obtain signed consent from the client acknowledging the attorney is being assisted by the registered law student,
(2) review, approve and personally sign pleadings (students can sign in addition to attorney but must indicate they are doing so pursuant to student practice),
(3) review and approve any student-prepared document that has a legally binding effect on the client, and
(4) be physically present in any proceeding in which the law student appears (including administrative proceedings), unless the judicial officer determines the attorney's presence is not required.
4. Then, print, complete, sign and scan both of the forms in this PDF
(an oath and a certification).
5. Finally, complete the form below and upload your oath/certification document.